Today's Offering is a totally new to me recipe that was born out of the desire to not turn on the oven. I had planned on making enchiladas, but our AC has been misbehaving, so I tried to think of what I could make using many of the same ingredients and what I had at home- since it happened to be on Sunday. I did a search for fajitas, and found one from Miss Paula Deen which seemed very promising- 5 star rating, and 90 reviews. After reading many of the reviews- I made a modification or two, and off I went. Delish- and rather adaptable. Easy as well.
Ingredients based from Paula Deen: I recommend doubling it
2 TB Canola Oil
3 TB FRESH Lemon Juice
1 TB FRESH Lime Juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
Dash hot sauce ( I gave three shakes of Cholula Hot Sauce- Chili Lime flavor)
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Mix together and place in a strong large baggie (freezer- gallon sized)
Then add and make sure they are well coated:
4 or 5 Thawed pre-frozen Chicken Breasts (can use 1 1/2 pound of shrimp or steak) . The original recipe said to marinate for a much shorter time, but most reviews said longer- I marinated ours for 3 hours.
2 medium onion, halved and sliced lengthwise
2 green bell pepper, sliced ( or you can use 1 green and 1 red bell pepper, sliced)
flour tortillas (We use Raw Tortillas that we cook fresh- if you haven't tried them- you really -really should.)
1 lime, juiced, for topping
Sour cream, for topping
Salsa, for topping
Guacamole, for topping
Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, for topping
Heat the outside grill or a large indoor grill pan to medium-high heat. Remove the meat from the marinade and place it on the hot grill, discard the marinade. Cook chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side, skirt steak about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare and about 2 minutes for shrimp. Slice the chicken and steak into strips if you are using.
In a large skillet heat up the remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and fry the onions and bell peppers until crisp-tender with some salt and pepper.
Serve hot- and if you are cool enough to have the little cast iron servers- check here for the full instructions- and original recipe.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/gold-medal-sizzling-fajitas-recipe/index.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment