Friday, March 19, 2010

Corn Chowder

Here is the basic beginning recipe- and the modifications I made:

I always double this one- so I would imagine that the BASIC serves about 4.

____BASIC:

6 slices of bacon- chopped
1 small onion - chopped
1 1/2 C boiling water
10 oz pkg of frozen corn
1/2 tsp salt
dash of pepper
1 tall can EVAPORATED milk
1 TBSP butter
1 TBSP Flour

Cook bacon slowly in a large sauce pan until crisp. Remove and drain. Add onion to pan and cook until clear but not brown (10 min). Add all but flour and butter. Cook over MED to MED LOW heat until hot. Make a roux with the butter and flour, making sure to cook the starch taste out. Thicken mixture with roux. Top with bacon. Serve.

Okay- Now for Looney Bin modifications-

1 lb of thicker bacon (I use Bar S Thick)-chopped
3 med onions chopped (keep one separate)
3 cups Hot water
3 cans (15 oz) corn-drained
approx 1 1/2 tsp Salt (to taste)
approx 1 tsp fresh ground pepper (to taste)
3 cans Evaporated Milk
6 TBSP Butter
6 TBSP Flour

Cook Bacon slowly in a 4 - 5 quart heavy pan. I then dumped the bacon into a strainer, leaving very little grease in the pan. I cooked two of the three onions until clear, saving the third to add later. Add water, canned milk, corn, and seasonings. Heat over med to med low heat. Prepare the roux from the butter and flour. Thicken the stew with the roux. I then added the remaining onion and bacon, let cook for a few minutes and then adjusted the seasoning.

I put this in a crockpot on low ( chowder was already hot) for about an hour and then left it on warm until we were ready to eat (several hours later)- It was very yummy. I normally just double the recipe straight across but this time I added the raw onion and extra corn and milk on a whim. And I am usually generous with the pepper. It was the best I have ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment